FlipFlopWeekend Mom’s Quick City Guides: Orlando
Best Time Of Year To Visit
Orlando is one of the top travel destinations in the country, which means it is hopping year round. However, it does tend to be more crowded during school break periods (i.e. summer, Christmas and spring breaks).
January to April tend to be great times to visit as the days tend to be drier and not as sweltering.
On the back end of the year, early October is nice as school is back in session and the holiday crowds have not hit. Beware, though, hurricane season is from June-November, so there is always a chance that travel plans in those months need adjusted.
Best Free Things To Do With Kids
- Feed The Swans at Lake Eola Park
- Get a taste of Disney at Disney Springs
- Visit Old Town in Kissimmee
- Head to the beach– Cocoa Beach is just an hour away!
For some more ideas, check out my post on affordable family-friendly things to do in Orlando.
Theme Parks, Zoos, Aquariums, Etc.
No shortage here as Orlando is the Theme Park Capital of the World. Walt Disney World alone tops the list globally in visitor attendance every year.
It would be impossible to do everything Orlando has to offer in one visit. Some of the options you can choose from are:
- Universal Studios Florida and Universal Islands of Adventure
- Walt Disney World
- Fun Spot
- Sea Life Aquarium
- Orlando Science Center
- Crayola Experience @ The Florida Mall
But that barely scratches the surface. I have a post with about thirty more ideas, just in case what’s listed above doesn’t spark enough excitement.
Best Hotels For Families
Not long ago, I wrote a post with some great suggestions for hotels off-property at Walt Disney World. Some of these are listed below, plus a few additions near Universal Studios.
- Universal’s Portofino Bay Hotel
- Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace
- Holiday Inn Orlando- Disney Springs
- Floridays Resort Orlando
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Orlando at Flamingo Crossings
- Holiday Inn Orlando Suites and Waterpark
Best Kids Meals/Family Dinner Spots
- Blaze Pizza at Disney Springs
- Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen @ Citywalk
- 4 Rivers Smokehouse ( Multiple locations)
Family Friendly Festivals
- Florida Strawberry Festival– Plant City, FL ( February/March)
- Florida Key Lime Pie Festival – Cocoa Beach, FL ( January)
- Florida Kids and Family Expo – Orlando, FL (August)
Hidden Local Gems
Visit the Winter Park Farmer’s market on Saturday mornings, for a family friendly stroll. Free samples, fresh produce and unique artisan goods are on sale by local vendors. Afterwards, grab some brunch on park avenue and treat the kid’s to something sweet at Peterbrooke Chocolatier or Kilwin’s.
In Case Of Emergency
It’s terrifying to think of emergencies happening to your loved ones…especially your kiddos. But, it’s also important to know where to go in case you are in an unfamiliar location. Here are some recommendations near the Disney parks and if you find yourself or your kids in medical trouble while visiting Orlando, Florida.
If critical / life threatening: Dial 911!
- Buena Vista Urgent Care ( Near Disney) – (407) 465-1110
- Paramount Urgent Care, Clermont – (352) 242-1988
- Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children (24 hour ER) -(407) 649-9111